I recently wrote about how to find the best blu-ray deals and build a great collection. Here are a few movies that are currently at ridiculously low prices that should be in everyone’s collection:
I’m a film geek. I love movies of all eras and all genres. This doesn’t mean I love all movies, of course. For me, a movie has to try to do something interesting or offer something unique, regardless of its subject.
“It’s not what a movie is about, it’s how it is about it.”
Let’s face it, there are a lot of bad movies out there, most of them clogging up the streaming services. If you want to watch a high-quality presentation of the true classics of cinema, good luck. Hulu has the Criterion collection, which is a treasure trove of foreign films and influential, if obscure, art films but otherwise you’re probably out of luck.
The other two major streaming services, Amazon and Netflix, are pretty tough on major movies. The big blockbuster movies are by and large missing from streaming services, unless you rent them from Amazon. For instance, Jaws, Alien, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Jurassic Park, The Matrix and other iconic films are not available for subscription streaming. These are movies that are absolutely made for repeat viewing on a nice home system.
Why Buy Blu-Ray?
- It’s cheap. The price of blu-ray movies is astonishingly cheap today. I’ve been building out my collection for $5-7 per movie, sometimes even less. Most of the time, you can buy a pristine blu-ray presentation cheaper than you can rent the movie even one time.
- Extra features. Blu-ray movies usually come with a wealth of extra features, including director commentaries, deleted scenes, documentaries, and more.
- Amazing picture quality. I’ve been amazed to find a huge difference between the quality of dvd and blu-ray. I used to marvel at the picture quality of dvd on an old box tv. Now I sometimes find the dvd quality unwatchable in comparison. This is truly the golden age for home movie watching.
A few tips for building your blu-ray collection:
- Know what you want.
- Have a wishlist of movies that you know you want to collect. It’s much easier to spend hard-earned money on a movie that you know you want and will watch repeatedly then just randomly picking movies off the shelf. Your collection in general will also be much higher quality and fun for you personally to own if you curate it carefully.
- At the same time, always keep an eye out for deals that are too good to pass up. It’s much easier to take a chance on a movie that’s $5 than one that’s $25.
- Know the price of movies you want.
- Check the price history graph at bluray.com so you can see the movie’s most frequent price.
- Blu-ray movies go on sale often, usually for no apparent reason. If you know what a good price is, you can maximize your movie collecting dollar.
- If it’s a deal, buy it.
- If it’s not a deal, don’t buy it. Be patient and wait for the deal!
- Set up a price tracker on bluray.com or Amazon so that you are notified when the price of a movie on your collection list drops.
- This can allow you to purchase a lot of movies at vastly reduced prices. If you just purchase the same movies randomly at their ‘regular price’ it can cost you several times more than if you had tracked the price.
Here are just a few examples of movies from my collection, what I paid, and their current price:
- Alien: $5.88; currently $12.77
- Hannibal Lecter Collection: $7.99; currently $14.99
- Dark Knight Trilogy: $19.99; currently $56
You can see from just these three examples that it can be easy to save a lot of money easily. Unless you must own a movie immediately, it pays to have a system in place to watch prices and be patient. I’ve been building a nice collection that suits my taste and provides a nice variety of my favorite movies to watch whenever I want at extremely high quality.
Sure, streaming quality is getting better and better all the time. Unfortunately, the quality of movie selection available on streaming services remains pretty hit or miss. The best way to be sure you’ll always be able to see your favorite movies when you want (and share them with others) is to purchase the blu-ray disc. Fortunately, current prices make it easier than ever to build your collection.